The university was established by the late Reverend Dr. Kim Gil-Chang, a pioneer of Christianity in Korea. The university was originally called Kyungnam Teacher's College and established in 1955 under the ideals of Christian love and service. In 1979 the school was re-organized and renamed Pusan Industrial University. At the time of the founding of Pusan Industrial University, the General Construction Committee began work on expanding and improving the quality of the university's facilities. As a result, the university received official sanctioning as a general university in September,1983. The name of the university was changed to Kyungsung University in 1988 during the process of becoming an international university which can fulfill the needs of today's society.
The university will have 10 undergraduate colleges (Liberal Arts, Law and Politics, Commerce and Economics, Science, Engineering, Pharmacy, Arts, Theology, Multimedia, and Chinese) in 2011 encompassing 7 different faculties and 54 departments (In 2011 the maximum freshmen enrollment will be 3,120 students).
There are seven graduate schools (General, International Management, Multimedia, Education, Social Welfare, Clinical Pharmacy, and Digital Design). In addition, seven affiliated organizations and seven affiliated research institutes have been established to aid teaching and research. Kyungsung University's 700 employees and over 13,000 students are all working together to achieve the school's educational goals.